Thursday, 2 March 2017

Filming

Filming Day 1 (04/02/17):
During the first day of filming, I was acting in the opening sequence. I handled my own costume however, and created the bruised wrist effect with various eyeshadows. I made sure to follow the directions of Phoebe and Leah.

Filming Day 2 (05/02/17:
On this day, I filmed the first half of Joseph's sequence, up until the point that he exits the kitchen with Ella doing the second half. When we arrived on set, I created the mise en scene to look messy and disorganised, putting plates in the sink and most importantly creating a jar of various sharp knives for Joe to select from. Because there wasn't a drawer like we had planned that was suitable for that particular overhead shot, I improvised, instead choosing to have him pick a knife from this jar. I ended up preferring this shot anyway, as I think it is more effective than the original idea as the image of all of the knives sticking out of the jar is much more striking than seeing them in a drawer, although perhaps less subtle. In terms of direction for the actors, I suggested that Joe look as angry as possible, and act quite tense and stiff in his movements to convey our character's emotions without dialogue. With the scene where he looks out of the window, I filmed this from a close up, mid shot and long shot to give myself more freedom when editing this, although I ended up using the close up because it was the most effective. To prevent continuity issues, I placed markers on the floor to ensure that when we refilmed scenes (such as Joe crossing the kitchen) there were no continuity errors. In terms of costume, I directed Joe to wear red on the day, deviating from our original plans because of the connotations of the colour red.  I was very good with my time management as everything ran fairly smoothly and we ended up finishing ahead of schedule. I used mainly natural lighting for filming my sequence as the kitchen featured a large window with no blinds, so it was impossible to try any other kind of lighting. However, because the lighting came from the left side, it allowed for the shadows that I originally intended to include.


No comments:

Post a Comment